Tuesday, April 2, 2013

B is for Bacon and Brussels Sprouts

We have a saying at our house:  Everything is better with bacon, butter, and cheese!  I'm afraid that our waistlines can attest to that, too.  Bacon is really good on all sorts of roasted vegetables, but obviously if you are going for healthy or vegetarian, you want to skip this fatty delicacy that we love so much.

If you read yesterday's post, then you saw my recipe for asparagus roasted with bacon.  Today's recipe is the same, just a different substitute for the vegetable - Brussels sprouts.  I had never been a fan of the little cabbages until a neighbor pan roasted them with bacon. Dee-li-cious! 

Two of our downtown Raleigh restaurants do a nice Brussels sprouts side dish.  Zinda, a new Asian restaurant, does a shredded version with bacon and honey, and a neighboring restaurant, Bolt Bistro, does a teriyaki version. Both a scrumptious!

My Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

1 package of Brussels sprouts, washed and dried, cut in half
2-3 slices of thick cut bacon, uncooked, cut up / cubed / diced
Olive oil spray / cooking spray

Spray the dish with cooking spray.  Add the Brussels sprouts and bacon.  Cook in oven at 350 degrees for 20-40 minutes, depending on how crunchy or mushy you like your vegetables, stirring a couple of times during the cooking process.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

If you were to make this with fresh Brussels Sprouts would you do anything different vs packaged? I love Brussels sprouts and finally hubby does. But, they're often so hard when fresh, I've read they should be soaked in salt water for an hour? Can you offer anything along those lines?

I'm big fan of pancetta and capocola, instead of bacon. Not sure if I'm spelling those right.

Flat Stanley B

Unknown said...

Brussels Sprouts - my absolute favorite vegetable. Your recipe sounds yummy.

We eat brussels sprouts often. I hated them as a child, so much so that I remember sitting at the table on Sunday afternoon gagging as I refused them. Today I can't get enough. I love slicing them in the food processor and throwing them into salad. They are wonderful! Yummy.

Ms. Dee said...

I've never soaked my fresh Brussels sprouts. I don't know if that's necessary. I definitely think some pancetta would be scrumptious!

Quirky Homemaker said...

Mmmmmm. . . teriyaki sounds yummy! I love Brussels Sprouts with bacon, but I do mine on the stove. I got a recipe from Rachael Ray for the stovetop. I'll have to try your recipe!!! Thanks for visiting Fit, Fun and Fashionable after Forty! Have fun during the A to Z challenge!

sherilee said...

I love brussels sprouts, and don't even need bacon to make them tasty. Again, roasting is my favorite, with a little lemon and parmesan. Perfect fall/winter food.

I've been meaning to try them in a salad, as The Wayward Gifted does... I think I'll give that a whirl next!

The Mommie said...

Split, roasted w/pancetta in EVOO drizzle seasoned w/seasoned salt (or sea salt) works for me . . . of course, Carolyn would douse hers w/hot sauce.