Tuesday, April 17, 2012

K is for Kid

When I was a teenager and dreamed of marrying my high school sweetheart, I also had dreams of having a family, a really large family. I thought that I wanted a whole softball team: a dozen kids sounded reasonable. Maybe this was because I was an only child that I thought a big family would be just right. Whatever the reason, that was what I thought that I wanted: a dozen kids.


As I got older (and wiser), I realized that a dozen kids would be a whole bunch of work! So in my mid-twenties, I reasoned that four or five kids sounded like a much better number. When my first marriage ended with no children, I had no idea if there were kids in my future.


But the idea of having a child was still on my bucket list.


When I married in 2001, we weren't in any rush to have children, but by our late 30's, we realized that we might want to try to see if that kid thing would actually work! In 2006, at almost 38 and 39 years old, we had a kid, most likely our only kid.


And while it's not a whole softball team, she's wonderful!

No comments: