Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for Ice Cream

Yesterday was free cone day at the Ben & Jerry's and you can be certain that my daughter and I were right there with about fifty other folks, standing in line to get our free ice cream cone.  Who doesn't love some ice cream, especially when it's being given away for free?!

Ice cream is like a staple food.  I cannot remember a time when there was not some form of ice cream in the house.  As a child, my mama bought the five quart buckets of vanilla ice cream and fudge ripple.  If we weren't having a bowl or cone of ice cream, we were having a scoop on top of a brownie or a piece of cake.  I remember making quarts of ice cream in the summer, adding the rock salt to the old wooden, hand cranked ice cream maker.  The best kind was always made with whatever fruit was in season -- strawberry or peach.

I admit that my supper on many nights when I was a single gal was a pint of Ben & Jerry's --Chunky Monkey, Chubby Hubby, or Peanut Butter Cup.  Back in the late 90's on Monday nights, it was just me, a spoon, my pint of ice cream and Ally McBeal

I also like the new frozen Greek yogurt flavors that Ben & Jerry's has.  The flavors -- Liz Lemon and Blueberry Cheesecake -- are just as yummy as their regular ice creams.  It makes feel like I'm eating a little healthier, too.

At any time if you looked in our freezer now, you'd probably find a container of Breyer's vanilla and a package of Schwan's ice cream sundae cones.  There may also be some single serve cups of some crazy flavor my daughter and I just had to try or a box of ice cream sandwiches.  Either way, there will definitely be ice cream ready to serve!

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?

(Photo: Me at the Ghiradelli ice cream shop in San Diego, CA, 2011)

3 comments:

pamlovesbooks said...

No one should be having that much fun. Without me.

Enjoy!

Emily Genther said...

Hmm... May have to make the husband take us out for ice cream now :) Too bad there isn't a Ben & Jerry's in my town.

The Mommie said...

hmmmm. . . raspberry sherbet (or sorbet) or Orange Leaf mango (w/few white chocolate chips & some waffle crumbles)