Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for Grits

I am a southern girl.  I am GRITS -- a Girl Raised In The South -- and I love grits -- warm, buttery, cheesy, just enough salty grits! 

I've been eating grits for as long as I can remember.  In the fall and winter, the breakfast staple was definitely a piping hot bowl of grits.  Sometimes those grits were instant, pulled from a box of Quaker instant grits packets -- butter, cheese, bacon bits.  Just as many mornings, though, they were quick cook in the pot with a big ol' pat of butter, maybe a little grated sharp cheddar cheese.  Makes me melt just thinking about those yummy grits.

My daughter likes grits, too, especially the cheesy grits.  No instant for me now.  It's so easy to mix up a pot of grits, creamy smooth, right on the stove top.  I tend to make them just on the weekends and for special occasion breakfasts, such as Christmas morning.

Here's one of my favorite cheesy grits casserole recipes! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tui Snider @mentalmosaic said...

I love grits, too. My mom would fry up leftover grits, make 'em all crispy, then serve them with pancake syrup.

I recently tried shrimp grits for the first time. Oh soooooo good!

Tui Snider
visiting from the #AtoZChallenge
Twitter: @mentalmosaic
Blog: http://www.mentalmosaic.com/blog

The Mommie said...

for sure, we G.R.I.T.S absolutely looooove grits . . . instant will do in pinch (camping, travelin' --- especially in far flung lands when you're unsure of local offerings), stone ground are best [whether w/shrimp, andouille, red-eye gravy, etc. (yes I could go on & on)] in pots, bowls, cups, or cast iron frying pans === & conversation options when 'round those uneducated folk who don't really know what'll stick to your ribs 'cept oatmeal (yucky often to this G.R.I.T.S)

Rowena said...

Never heard of GRITS before, but then I am new to the US. I may see if I can make some!