Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Answering Your Texts: Minding Your Manners

Recently I've been struggling with the idea that an answered text is just like a non-returned phone call.  If I text you a question, then I expect a response. Is that too much to ask?

I certainly don't expect it right away, but within twenty fours I hope you have returned my communication, be that by text, voice, email, whatever.

A few weeks ago I texted three friends about getting together.  No answer.  After two days, I decided to Facebook message them and added this note:  Since I didn't hear from you via text, I'll assume that you are either 1) way too busy to respond, 2) just plain unresponsive, or 3) ignoring me.

While it mind sound as if my feelings were hurt, they really weren't.  I'm much more concerned with manners than feelings at this point, and it's just plain good manners to return your communications, isn't it?

No comments: