Saturday, April 28, 2012

W is for Washington, D.C.

I think everyone should live in Washington, D.C. for at least one year.

I've had this on my bucket list for a long time.  I really enjoy visiting D.C., going to the Smithsonian, walking the Mall, seeing the monuments.  If I lived there for a year, I could finally see it all more in depth and get a better feel for the history of our country.

I picture myself working at the Library of Congress.  I would take the Metro to work every morning.  I would eat my lunch on the steps of one of the historic buildings or picnic in the Mall.  I would tour at least one museum in the afternoon:  maybe the Folger Shakespeare Library, perhaps the Air and Space Museum, or the National Gallery of Art.

My evenings would be filled with moonlit strolls by the Potomac and dinners at all the best restaurants (Citronelle or Vidalia) and performances at the Kennedy Center.  My weekends would be spent sitting in Union Station or on the Capitol steps or on Pennsylvania Avenue watching the tourists, the visitors, the residents enjoying their moments with friends and family and documenting it all in my journal.

I'm not sure why I am enamoured with D.C.  Maybe I picture my stay in Washington without politicians.

No comments: