Thursday, April 26, 2012

V is for Voice

I love to sing.

Every night after I read my daughter a bedtime story and say her prayers with her, I sing her off into slumber land.  No, I don't sing a lullaby, not really, or some inspirational, soft melody.  Every night we sing a version of the closing theme song from The Lawrence Welk show: 

Good night, sleep tight, and pleasant dreams to you.
Make a wish, say a prayer, may all your dreams come true.
Tonight and until we meet again.
Adios, Au Revoir, Auf Wiedersehn.
Goodnight!

I really enjoy singing.  I grew up singing in the school choir.  I had the role of Mary Poppins, singing A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down, in a salute to Walt Disney production in the fourth grade.  I sang alto in the middle school choir and both alto and tenor in the high school choir, mainly because I had great pitch and was good at harmonizing.  In high school, I also started singing in my church choir.

I miss singing these days.  Sometimes I feel like I have lost my voice, although I really haven't.  I sing along to the radio, belt out songs with my girlfriends, especially on road trips, and giggle through songs with my daughter.  I just haven't performed in any organized singing group in quite a while.

Care to hum a little tune with me?

No comments: