Wednesday, January 18, 2012

100 Books in 2012: Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Book 2: Smile by Raina Telgemeier

I do not usually read graphic novels. I completely avoid the Japanese manga and anime stuff, but I will at least skim through the latest in our school's graphic novel collection to make sure the titles jive with the reviews that I read before actually purchasing them.

When I saw the students (girls!) that were checking out and voraciously reading (and laughing out loud) the book, I had to see what the commotion was all about. Smile is the autobiographical graphic novel of Raina Telgemeier, who unfortunately endured a painful loss of her two front teeth when she was in the 6th grade, followed by numerous dental surgeries and braces. Thank goodness Raina "survived" to tell and wonderfully illustrate her story of learning to smile again through her lack of teeth and the painful middle school and high school taunts of her supposed friends.

The story will make you say, "Ouch!" It will make you laugh out loud. And it will definitely make you smile.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds sweet! I'll look for it on Monday...

PS: are you still thinking about risk taking? ;)